Thursday 11 October 2007

Drowning in words

Didn't get much done at the pub.
'Much' isn't the right word.
'Petanque' is the right word, and I deleted that on the bus going home.
I replaced it with a paragraph though, so that's a plus. Did another few hundred words in various grabbed moments during the week.

'Petanque' was the right word because it gave me a believable reason to cause an argument - which was needed to create a certain emotion in order to enable a certain event. I'm quite proud of the chapter as it stands.
I just took the opportunity to read it out loud. I always do that - it emphasizes clumsy sentence construction, repeated words and confused tenses.

D, V and I met at the odd little pub on the island. Mostly D and I ranted about work. V has produced a couple of printed volumes on lulu.com of his spooky kids story, one of which my wife will proof read so he can enter it in a competition. It reads so smoothly, it's a hugely assured piece of work. I'm enjoying reading this draft. D made a few points on the portion of the story she's read. V always looks a tad nervous during criticism. We discussed a mini-story that D had written - she's going to be writing several of these in order to frame her screen play. Told me another extraordinary episode on the way home in the car. She's a great raconteur.

Just posted the updated work to google docs. Have extended the outlines of the next two chapters too, so I should be able to knock them off - if I get organized enough to find some reliable time! I had intended to write this afternoon, but - with awesome timing - I had a bit of a work related problem that absorbed my time. That and listening to OUFC managing to grab a 3-3 draw having led 3-0 at half time.

But! I take strength from my ability to sit down for 20 minutes and get out 600-700 words. Surely that means I can do 1800 in an hour... so another 30 hours should see the novel complete.

1 comment:

vrooma said...

Aw shucks... thanks M! If only I could remember which story I told now...was it the Springsteen one? There in lies the problem of memory, especially if you don't have one. :)